Sunday, January 17, 2010

Redux: Word of the Day: NIPPLE!

I've updated this post to include pictures!!!

Well, howdy-doo neighbors! It's been a while.

I hope you are enjoying a stellar start to 2010. These first few weeks of January always bring about a bit of self-reflection for me... look for an upcoming post on that topic soon.

But what I'd like to mention now is an old Spice Girl's mantra that I really love - Girl Power!


 

Today, me and a bestie (see her cute nuggets here) threw a baby shower for a dear friend of mine who is expecting her first child. What a wonderful experience!!



It was my first time hosting a baby shower and boy (that's what she's having), was I nervous!! My lovely co-host and I decided on a Sunday afternoon affair with light desserts, coffee and lemonade, and tasteful favors. We used a Noah's Ark theme for the plates, cups and napkins. What's really unique is that we held the shower at local store - Pout Baby Boutique.



 The store's owner, Kris (meet her munchkin here), was kind enough to come in on her day off and open up her fabulous establishment for all of us baby-crazy ladies.


A big THANK YOU  to Kris and Pout for offering us the perfect location! If you're looking for unique clothing, nursing and feeding items, cloth diapers, wooden toys or any other cool baby products, Pout is the place to shop. Look for online shopping on Pout's Web site, soon, too!

The soon-to-be-mother-of-honor is due in about a month. She wore a beautiful Liz Lange silver velvet dress and looked smashing - I wish I had pictures to post!!! If I get some emailed to me, I'll repost this entry so you can see all the fun we had!


About twenty gals showed up for the shower. And immediately, for some odd reason, everyone was saying the word, 'nipple.' Maybe it had something to do with holding the shower in a baby shop or the numbers of bottles that were being unwrapped, or perhaps it was simply the number of nipples in one location, but everyone kept saying nipple! It's like the penis game you used to play in junior high. You know the one... where people would randomly shout out the word 'penis!' during class? Some people would say it all high-pitched and drag it out, like PPPPEEEE-NIIIIIIIIISSSS! Others, would start low, peeeeeeeee and then end with a bang, NIS!



The trick was to keep it going long enough that no teachers would ever catch on to what you're saying. However, now that I'm older (and wiser??), I'm guessing that teachers have always known about this game since every woman at the shower had heard about it.




Anyway, enough about girl and boy parts. The point I'd like to make, although it sure has taken me a while to get to it, is that It was so much fun to get together with a bunch of chicas and talk and laugh and gossip and catch up on each other's lives. Growing up, I always had a large support system of girls around me and that comeraderie is something I crave all the time. There is nothing like a group of girlfriends whom you can call at a moment's notice who just... get you.



And who don't mind when you get the urge to shout out NIPPLE!



That's true friendship. Congratulations Andey!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, if I heard someone shout NIPPLE one more time, I would've peed my pants! It was fun having you girls and thanks for the plug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you think about it, nipple is such a cute word. I could say it all day. LOL. Sounds like ya'll had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Did you participate in Friday Follow last week at my blog? If not, come by on Friday and check it out. It's a lot of fun to get new followers and find new blogs.

    ReplyDelete