Saturday, June 5, 2010

14 weeks

I think I've been really lucky. And I DO NOT take it for granted. I'm not just talking about the fact that SuperFutureDad and I are actually going to have a baby. A baby!!! I'm talking about my pregnancy journey so far.

Unlike some of my best friends, I have not had a terrible amount of nausea. I'm very thankful for that because it was really tough to hear and watch them feel so sick for, seriously, 9 months. Ugh.

But I haven't been without some side-effects. Here's a quick breakdown of what Butterball has been up to:

First Two Weeks (I found out within the first week of conception that I was preggers): Energy burst and extreme hunger. Like, every two hours hungry. But only for super healthy stuff. Carrots, cheese, almonds, fruit, granola. Yummy!

Latter Half of First Month and Second Month: Extreme aversion to meat. No chicken, fish, beef. YUCK!! This was really difficult to deal with because I had two trips planned during this time; Las Vegas (with the girls) and Belize (with the hubs). Needless to say, it was super hard to keep nugget a secret during Vegas but we told everyone in Belize because we were there with all my besties from high school! Love you guys!!!

There was also a lot of fatigue during this time. I became the queen of cat naps in my car, on the couch at work and in the living room chair. These areas have never seen so much drool in all their existence!!

Third Month: This is where things get weird. Like I said, I've been very lucky, but two of my side-effects have been painful and annoying to handle. Headaches and insomnia. I get pounding headaches about 3 times a week. They start with a mild but persistent pain on the left side of my forehead but within hours erupt into a crescendo of full-scale, wrinkle-inducing agony encompassing my entire cranium. OUCH! I end up having to lay down in a darkened room and trying to sleep it off, which can take hours. If I don't do this, I end up nauseous with major dry heaves. Nothing ever comes out, but the dry heaving leaves me teary-eyed with snot rippling from my nose. Pleasant, no? I think this is why SuperFutureDad hightails it out of the room when the "hwaph" chorus begins.

The insomnia is a whole other mess. Virtually every night I wake up around 3:30 and am wide-eyed for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. This is not a good thing, especially the days I have to work. The days I don't work, I can handle it by taking a fabulous cat nap. There is really no rhyme or reason to what I think about during these pitch-black hours and most of it I can't remember anyway. Although I do remember crafting a nasty letter in my head to someone (or something) that shall remain nameless. It was good, too!

This all leads me to my desires as I continue with my fourth month of pregnancy:
No more headaches!
No more insomnia!
Back to better eating - I know I need more protein so will vow to find someway to stomach meat products
Find a consistent exercise routine - I'd like to get back into yoga
Create a plan for how to prepare for Butterball over the latter half of pregnancy - nursery, finances, day care, registry

Enjoy this time!!!!! I am anxious to feel nugget move... I think that is the biggest step I want to experience next.

For your reference, here's a handy guide from BabyCenter.com on how Butterball is developing:


This week's big developments: Your baby can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck his thumb! Thanks to brain impulses, his facial muscles are getting a workout as his tiny features form one expression after another. His kidneys are producing urine, which he releases into the amniotic fluid around him — a process he'll keep up until birth. He can grasp, too, and if you're having an ultrasound now, you may even catch him sucking his thumb.

In other news: Your baby's stretching out. From head to bottom, he measures 3 1/2 inches — about the size of a lemon — and he weighs 1 1/2 ounces. His body's growing faster than his head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, his arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of his body. (His legs still have some lengthening to do.) He's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over his body. Your baby's liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and his spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. Though you can't feel his tiny punches and kicks yet, your little pugilist's hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I used to this this all the time. Love to see how far a long I was! It is the most fun experience and you will love it. I can't wait to read more of your pregnancy Journey. I am your new follower. Come visit me at http://showmemama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Griffin, I craved cheeseburgers SO MUCH!!! I had one at least 4-5 times/week & one day I had one for lunch and another for dinner!!! I just couldn't get enough! This time, though it is another boy - my cravings are all over the map - but more sweet than last time. Hang in there, and enjoy the ride! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete